The creek that runs through my backyard. This is a panoramic photo that I shot and put together in Photoshop.
This ad was designed for Randy Hartgrave of RHarts Greenlawn. Published in the spring of 2010, the client liked it so much he used the ad in many other publications and had me redesign it other formats for different uses.
Union Auto is a weekly advertiser with the Conrad Record. December 2009, The Record ran a special Christmas section. Union Auto requested that their ad feature their normal “cars for sale” look but had a “Christmassy” theme to it as well. This is what I came up with.
This ad was commisioned at this size because the client was very impressed with what I designed for the full page ad (part 3). Again the photos are all mine as was the concept.
The only gas station in town shut down for remodeling. The local farm co-op wanted potential customers to know that they didn’t have to drive 20 miles to the nearest available gasoline. All photography was mine. I was given a bare outline for what the ad needed to say. The client was so impressed with the ad they decided to run it for four consecutive weeks.
I’m especially fond of this ad (and the next). I shot all the photos for this ad and the concept was mine from start to finish. The client liked the ad so much that they commissioned one for Mother’s Day 2010.
Monday, April 27 my mother brought over a help wanted ad. The paper in Conrad, Iowa was in need of a graphic artist/ad-man. Since that is what my degree is in, Mom thought I’d be interested. Money has been tight since Mrs. VS went on disability because of her cancer. The redemption center was never designed to be the family’s sole source of income. The funding that the church was supposed to get starting in January hasn’t materialized as yet. So needless to say I was interested enough to call.
The editor of the paper took my call. We set an interview for Tuesday afternoon. I began the immediate search for a vehicle other than the can van to get me to the inerview and back. I also began making plans for Mom, the PITs, and my new employees to run the redemption center that afternoon. Monday evening I made sure my resume and portfolio were up to date and settled down for fitful night’s sleep.
Tuesday afternoon, nervous as a cat in room full of toddlers, I left for my interview. Chuck Friend, the editor/publisher of the Conrad Record is a very nice guy. He and I talked about my previous job experience and why if I’m a small business owner in my own right do I need a job? After an interview of about an hour and half, Chuck gave me a trial assignment. The previous ad guy had designed a pretty crappy sign touting the paper’s in-house copy business. Chuck sat me down at the computer and said, “Fix it.” 20 minutes later, I had indeed, fixed it. Chuck handed me an application and told me to bring it back Thursday morning filled out. I asked if he was offering me a job. Chuck told me to plan on being at work all day on Thursday. Easiest job interview I ever had.
Drove home, excited, nervous, worried and called the sellers of a used ’94 Ford T-Bird. Told them I’d take the car. Spent Wednesday buying clothes that don’t look like I count cans all day long. Picked up a new sponsor for the blog (but that’s another story<g>). Also got Mom and the PIT’s ready to take over the can company for awhile since My work schedule is part time and we need to restructure the can company’s hours to fit the job schedule.
This morning I woke early, got dressed and headed out to my first day of working for aomeone other than myself in nearly three years. When I got there, I was shown my desk and given an immediate assignment of redesigning some in-house forms and the paper’s masthead. I actually got to design an ad today as well. I was very nice to actually use my degree for a change. Eight hours flew by. I will be doing a redesign of the paper’s website as well.
Peace and Long Life
Greetings, welcome to the database of Stev, the Vulcan currently on assigment somewhere in the American Heartland.
Vulcan Stev's Database is a chronicle of his viewpoints on life, a repository for his Demotivational Posters, and a place to store the cool stuff he puts together in Photoshop
Enjoy your visit. It is a logical place to be.
Live Long and Prosper
Vulcan Stev on The View from My Chair: Klingo… Alex Mew on The View from My Chair: Klingo… Vulcan Stev on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… GoldenKeyboard on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… 30 D30: 30 Charts an… on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables…
The crew likes these posts
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Pseudo-Dredd from Observations of the FoxWhat are the definitive skills you'd expect to see character possessing in a Judge Dredd styled game (with serial numbers filed off)? What do you think the law enforcement officers would need? What kinds of activities do you think might be dramatic if ... [...]
- Cave Magic Web Comic 1-99: Tumble in the Jungle from Wielding a Bohemian Ear SpoonThe sages all agree that it is the chase, the pursuit, the continuous struggle that is the essence of life; while true, there is also an undeniably unique euphoria in the culmination, completion, and capture of long-sought goals. Cave Magic Book 1: Spirit Lake begins here: Cave Magic Web Comic [...]
- Tales from the Yawning Portal Available on Roll20 as Individual Add-Ons from TribalityOn March 24, 2017, Tales from the Yawning Portal will release on Roll20, which each adventure being available as a standalone add-on. I think this is a great move to split it up. “Tales from the Yawning Portal is coming to Roll20! The latest upcoming release from Wizards of the Coast marks... [...]
- Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited from TribalityThis week’s Unearthed Arcana has arrived which revisits traps. We’re also are asked to provide feedback on last week’s mass combat. This is something I’m really happy to see as a DM and I hope we see some expanded hazards soon too. Traps “Traps—how to design and... [...]
- Flights of Fancy from THE LAND OF NODMAGIC! The fly spell is a good example of a spell that succinctly (at least in old editions) explains what the spell does, but does not describe what the effect looks like. It's easy enough to assume the flyer looks something like Superman, but how ab... [...]
- A Bushel-full of Gods from TrollsmythOver on G+, Stuart Robertson asks:How formally do you handle religions in your game? Do you use an established setting with deities? Do you sort of hand wave it all? Do you have something DIY but more structured?Religion is pretty central to my campaig... [...]
- Fantasy AGE: Desert Lizardfolk from Glimm's WorkshopLizardfolk have been one of my favorite fantasy races for a long time. They are often depicted as primitive swamp-dwelling tribes, but there are other possibilities for lizardfolk and reptilian humanoids in general. Saurians from the Titansgrave setting are the only official lizardfolk race... [...]
- Weekend Gaming: New Blood and Would-be Queens from The Other Side blogHuge gaming weekend this past weekend.Friday night my youngest son ran his game of D&D ever for three of his friends. It went great and the kids sounded like they had a great time. One even showed up with a homemade character ... [...]
- A Trick Of The Mind: Aides de Memoire from Campaign MasteryOkay, I need to be up-front about a couple of things. First, I’m not an expert in this area, and my memory is anarchic at best, remembering some things easily, some things easily with prompting, some things easily once reminded, and some things not easily at all. My advice and techniques in... [...]
- Seven Planets’ Worth of Adventure from Siskoid's Blog of GeekeryThe big space news last week was of course that seven planets around star Trappist-1 have been discovered, and they're all in the star's "life belt" where life could theoretically thrive. That's unusual, but made possible by this dwindling dwarf star s... [...]
- Pseudo-Dredd from Observations of the Fox
Order of the D30
LCARS (Library Computer Access Retrieval System)
- Ad Man Portfolio (10)
- Agent of October (2)
- Alien Graphics (3)
- Blog Carnival (8)
- Comic Books (31)
- Connection Ministries (19)
- DC (22)
- Demotivational Posters (249)
- Destination Iowa (3)
- Fake Movie Posters (3)
- Firefly (2)
- Fluff/Inspiration (335)
- Gaming in the Universe of… (32)
- Gaming Notes (30)
- Goober's Place (One Way Express) (17)
- Legacy D&D (54)
- Life near an Iowa Cornfield (76)
- Little Dutch Can (4)
- Marvel (12)
- Memories of Virginia (11)
- Movie Reviews (65)
- Movie Trivia (3)
- Movies (52)
- Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight (42)
- News, Reviews and Culture (43)
- Nit-picking (2)
- Observations of a Noob GM (11)
- Order of the D30 (11)
- Other Systems (52)
- Photoshop Creativity (15)
- Play (21)
- Plot Hooks from… (9)
- Risus (8)
- RPG (164)
- Savage Worlds (22)
- Science Fiction (26)
- Serialized Fiction (1)
- SS3F (4)
- Star Trek (61)
- Star Wars (12)
- Stargate (6)
- Stev (2)
- TweetLibs (4)
- Twitter Inspired (4)
- Vulcan Stev (30)
- Vulcan Stev Family Journey (15)
Nebula of Tags20th Century Fox Ad Man Ashya T'Sai Batman breast cancer Cancer Cancer Crisis cancer fight Captain Kirk Car Wars Christmas humor comic book characters Connection Ministries Coping with Cancer creative writing D&D D&D 2e D&D humor demotivation Demotivational Poster Dungeons & Dragons Fake Movie Poster Fluff/Inspiration Fluff/Inspiration demotivation game night game stats Gaming in the Universe of Goober Goobers words of wisdom Harry Potter INA Inspiration/Fluff Little Dutch Can Liver Cancer LOLcats Movie Review Movie Reviews Movies Mrs. Vulcan Stev Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight Nevets Belin New Hope Fellowship News One Way Express Order of the D30 Paramount Pictures Photoshop pirates Pirates of the Caribbean PIT #1 PIT #2 PIT #3 Plot Hooks from... Portfolio Reviews and Culture Risus Rory's Story Cubes RPG RPG Blog Carnival RPG Bloggers Network Savage Worlds Spock Stargate SG-21 Star Trek Star Trek: TOS Star Trek Humor Star Wars Star Wars humor Stev Super Heroes The Watchmen Vulcan Stev Walt Disney Pictures Warner Bros. Ye Olde Shoppe of Magicks
Site infoVulcan Stev's Database
Blog at WordPress.com.