Cancer Crisis: Her Journey is Over… and ours has just begun.
Good Morning World. It is 11:00 am Wednesday May 12. I wake up this morning as a single father. I am simply overwhelmed by the support, love, and friendship… (how do you translate tears all over the keyboard and screen?)
Virginia took her last breath at 1:2o this morning. I stayed around doing the normal paperwork shuffle until about 3:15 this morning. I got home at about 3:45 and shut off the phone, the alarms and went to bed. I woke this morning to a very wet pillow and an empty bed.
Virginia’s folks and sister made it to Iowa in time to see her. Pvt Black Spartan (Janae) made it home in time to see Mommy. We had a ad-hoc family reunion in Virginia’s hospice room as we all shared stories of our favorite Virginia memories.
The family (especially PIT #3) started to get tired about 10:30. 11:00 I wrote the “Counting down the hours” post and read each of the 113 e-mails. I hope everyone will forgive me for not replying personally. 8-)
Pastor Ken of my church and Pastor Troy (not my Pastor but I’ve worked with him on a number of occasions) sat with me and talked from 11:00 – 12:30. I shared with them stories of Virginia and I. We watched Virginia’s breathing get shallower and further apart as I held her hand. Pastor Troy left at 12:30 and Pastor Ken sat with me.
At 1:20 this morning Virginia breathed her last. My wife is now healed. Praise God! The shell she lived in on this earth is at rest.
I’ll probably be saying this a lot in the next few days. THANK YOU! I don’t remember who started it but the Vulcan Stev family fund is appreciated. I never would have asked, but I’m man enough to admit we need it and I certainly won’t turn down the assistance. Posting the link here seems a little self-serving to me (besides in all honesty I’m not sure I remember who started it or what the link is) Again thank you.
Virginia Nibbelink is at peace. She has fought the good fight. She has finished her race. The Cancer Crisis is over.
Right now plans are for her memorial service to be held Sunday morning at New Hope Fellowship in Holland, Iowa. You are all certainly welcome to attend.
I plan to write up a post (when I’m feeling more articulate) about what Virginia meant/means to me.
I have had a number of folks tell me that my posts about the battle have been a source of inspiration (Berin, I think I understand a little how you feel). Towards that end, I will also probably blog about how the family is coping with the transition. I figure if what I wrote has helped folks going through similar experiences with cancer then what I write might help folks who have lost someone.
I apologize if this has been rambling. I’m still coming to grips with the fact that Virginia isn’t coming back to this house. She has gone home.
Virginia Nibbelink b. October 25, 1963. Born into Eternity May 12, 2010. Godspeed my love
May 12, 2010 - Posted by Vulcan Stev | Life near an Iowa Cornfield, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight, Vulcan Stev | cancer fight, Coping with Cancer, Death, Death & Dying, Eternal Life, Mrs. Vulcan Stev, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight
20 Comments »
Peace and Long Life
Greetings, welcome to the database of Stev, the Vulcan currently on assigment somewhere in the American Heartland.
Vulcan Stev's Database is a chronicle of his viewpoints on life, a repository for his Demotivational Posters, and a place to store the cool stuff he puts together in Photoshop
Enjoy your visit. It is a logical place to be.
Live Long and Prosper
acreve on Which D&D Metallic Dragon… John on Demotivational Poster: Curbs (… ccm2361 on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… ccm2361 on Demotivational Poster: Rules Crooked Rook on Demotivational Poster: Rules
The crew likes these posts
- Attention followers of @vulcanstev this account is going away. Please follow @Alien_Graphics_ 1 year ago
- Found the original hard copies of the short stories that will be chapters 4 and 5. 2 years ago
- No, I have not given up on the book. My real joband taking care of Angela nad the kids takes precedence. Hope... fb.me/1uW4l7s1I 2 years ago
- Facebook now requires page administrators to pay to promote status updates to those who already like our page. If... fb.me/26xcu2x2G 2 years ago
- Steve Nibbelink, the author, declares you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,... fb.me/19tqdq10Q 2 years ago
- My Job as a GM from Gothridge ManorBefore I even get started with this post and follow-up posts I want to say this is not a how-to piece. Folks have their own way of doing things that works for them. What I'm writing about is what works for me and what doesn't work for me.&n... [...]
- Welcome To Skull Tower, Part I from Lizard's Gaming and Geekery SiteWelcome To Skull Tower I’m Chad. I’ll Be Your Waiter This Evening Would You Like To Try Our New Unicorn Bites Appetizer? The Arduin Grimoire is well and justly famous, and has been the subject of many readings and walkthroughs, akin to the one I just finished… and as anyone who... [...]
- HuzzahCon 2015 with Adrian Benson – Wargaming Recon #136 from Troll in the Corner » Role Playing GamesHuzzah is one of the best historical gaming conventions in New England. It features a variety of historical tabletop games from many time periods and rule sets. Huzzah 2015 was the first live in person recording of Wargaming Recon. Many thanks to Dean ... [...]
- Casting Runes 6: A Season for All Things – Session 22 Recap from Casting ShadowsThis post, hopefully as a surprise to no one, continues the exploration and implementation of RuneQuest 6th Edition in a collaboratively-developed sword and sorcery campaign. This session dealt with launching the quest anew, bolstered by the support of the Plenthan ‘fanatics’... [...]
- The adventure begins from Observations of the FoxI've just finished up an illustration for my character in the new Pathfinder campaign I started during the week.Well, it's not quite finished, but it'll do for the moment. If the game actually goes for more than a couple of weeks (and I finish drawing ... [...]
- Friday Night Videos: Flashback 1982 from The Other Side blogWelcome back to Friday Night Videos! Tonight I want to pay homage to the years that really got me going D&D wise. 1980, 1981 and 1982! So this morning I was reading Arlee Bird's blog Tossing it Out. Lee is the brains behind so many great blog challenges including the April A to Z challenge.... [...]
- Discussion: Favorite Character Goal from Reality RefractedFirst, I apologize for this post going up today and not yesterday like it should have. I think in the confusion I forgot to post it would happen, but all my free time this past week has gone into cramming for an industry certification test I need for w... [...]
- The Curious Case of Jeff Starlind from GreyhawkeryThis post could also be titled, Two Shall Be One. So I've been re-reading 2e Greyhawk's Five Shall Be One and Howl From the North adventures. Overall I like parts of them, the swords, the locations, but not so much the characters or even story. Then there is the covers. I have those images... [...]
- Resolution of the Threat from Observations of the FoxAbout a week ago, I threatened a post on the gaming mechanisms inherent within the Eurovision Song Contest. Now it's time to make good on that threat.Those who were worried about spoilers should have heard the news of Sweden's win by now, those who don... [...]
- Spell: Freamon’s Well Trade from Rolang's Creeping DoomBecause the last three modules I read have a well in them, I offer you a level 2 Magic user spell for OSR Games. In DCC format. Notes for other systems below. Wizard Spell, Level 3. Range: Special, Duration: 1 minute per caster leve... [...]
- My Job as a GM from Gothridge Manor
Order of the D30
LCARS (Library Computer Access Retrieval System)
- Ad Man Portfolio (10)
- Agent of October (2)
- Alien Graphics (3)
- Blog Carnival (8)
- Comic Books (31)
- Connection Ministries (19)
- DC (22)
- Demotivational Posters (249)
- Destination Iowa (3)
- Fake Movie Posters (3)
- Firefly (2)
- Fluff/Inspiration (335)
- Gaming in the Universe of… (32)
- Gaming Notes (30)
- Goober's Place (One Way Express) (17)
- Legacy D&D (54)
- Life near an Iowa Cornfield (76)
- Little Dutch Can (4)
- Marvel (12)
- Memories of Virginia (11)
- Movie Reviews (65)
- Movie Trivia (3)
- Movies (52)
- Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight (42)
- News, Reviews and Culture (43)
- Nit-picking (2)
- Observations of a Noob GM (11)
- Order of the D30 (11)
- Other Systems (52)
- Photoshop Creativity (15)
- Play (21)
- Plot Hooks from… (9)
- Risus (8)
- RPG (164)
- Savage Worlds (22)
- Science Fiction (26)
- Serialized Fiction (1)
- SS3F (4)
- Star Trek (61)
- Star Wars (12)
- Stargate (6)
- Stev (2)
- TweetLibs (4)
- Twitter Inspired (4)
- Vulcan Stev (30)
- Vulcan Stev Family Journey (15)
Nebula of Tags20th Century Fox Ad Man Ashya T'Sai Batman breast cancer Cancer Cancer Crisis cancer fight Captain Kirk Car Wars Christmas humor comic book characters Connection Ministries Coping with Cancer creative writing D&D D&D 2e D&D humor demotivation Demotivational Poster Dungeons & Dragons Fake Movie Poster Fluff/Inspiration Fluff/Inspiration demotivation game night game stats Gaming in the Universe of Goober Goobers words of wisdom Harry Potter INA Inspiration/Fluff Little Dutch Can Liver Cancer LOLcats Movie Review Movie Reviews Movies Mrs. Vulcan Stev Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight Nevets Belin New Hope Fellowship News One Way Express Order of the D30 Paramount Pictures Photoshop pirates Pirates of the Caribbean PIT #1 PIT #2 PIT #3 Plot Hooks from... Portfolio Reviews and Culture Risus Rory's Story Cubes RPG RPG Blog Carnival RPG Bloggers Network Savage Worlds Spock Stargate SG-21 Star Trek Star Trek: TOS Star Trek Humor Star Wars Star Wars humor Stev Super Heroes The Watchmen Vulcan Stev Walt Disney Pictures Warner Bros. Ye Olde Shoppe of Magicks