Cancer Crisis: Her Journey is Over… and ours has just begun.
Good Morning World. It is 11:00 am Wednesday May 12. I wake up this morning as a single father. I am simply overwhelmed by the support, love, and friendship… (how do you translate tears all over the keyboard and screen?)
Virginia took her last breath at 1:2o this morning. I stayed around doing the normal paperwork shuffle until about 3:15 this morning. I got home at about 3:45 and shut off the phone, the alarms and went to bed. I woke this morning to a very wet pillow and an empty bed.
Virginia’s folks and sister made it to Iowa in time to see her. Pvt Black Spartan (Janae) made it home in time to see Mommy. We had a ad-hoc family reunion in Virginia’s hospice room as we all shared stories of our favorite Virginia memories.
The family (especially PIT #3) started to get tired about 10:30. 11:00 I wrote the “Counting down the hours” post and read each of the 113 e-mails. I hope everyone will forgive me for not replying personally. 8-)
Pastor Ken of my church and Pastor Troy (not my Pastor but I’ve worked with him on a number of occasions) sat with me and talked from 11:00 – 12:30. I shared with them stories of Virginia and I. We watched Virginia’s breathing get shallower and further apart as I held her hand. Pastor Troy left at 12:30 and Pastor Ken sat with me.
At 1:20 this morning Virginia breathed her last. My wife is now healed. Praise God! The shell she lived in on this earth is at rest.
I’ll probably be saying this a lot in the next few days. THANK YOU! I don’t remember who started it but the Vulcan Stev family fund is appreciated. I never would have asked, but I’m man enough to admit we need it and I certainly won’t turn down the assistance. Posting the link here seems a little self-serving to me (besides in all honesty I’m not sure I remember who started it or what the link is) Again thank you.
Virginia Nibbelink is at peace. She has fought the good fight. She has finished her race. The Cancer Crisis is over.
Right now plans are for her memorial service to be held Sunday morning at New Hope Fellowship in Holland, Iowa. You are all certainly welcome to attend.
I plan to write up a post (when I’m feeling more articulate) about what Virginia meant/means to me.
I have had a number of folks tell me that my posts about the battle have been a source of inspiration (Berin, I think I understand a little how you feel). Towards that end, I will also probably blog about how the family is coping with the transition. I figure if what I wrote has helped folks going through similar experiences with cancer then what I write might help folks who have lost someone.
I apologize if this has been rambling. I’m still coming to grips with the fact that Virginia isn’t coming back to this house. She has gone home.
Virginia Nibbelink b. October 25, 1963. Born into Eternity May 12, 2010. Godspeed my love
May 12, 2010 - Posted by Vulcan Stev | Life near an Iowa Cornfield, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight, Vulcan Stev | cancer fight, Coping with Cancer, Death, Death & Dying, Eternal Life, Mrs. Vulcan Stev, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight
20 Comments »
Peace and Long Life
Greetings, welcome to the database of Stev, the Vulcan currently on assigment somewhere in the American Heartland.
Vulcan Stev's Database is a chronicle of his viewpoints on life, a repository for his Demotivational Posters, and a place to store the cool stuff he puts together in Photoshop
Enjoy your visit. It is a logical place to be.
Live Long and Prosper
Howard on The View from My Chair: Klingo… acreve on Which D&D Metallic Dragon… John on Demotivational Poster: Curbs (… ccm2361 on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… ccm2361 on Demotivational Poster: Rules
The crew likes these posts
- Attention followers of @vulcanstev this account is going away. Please follow @Alien_Graphics_ 2 years ago
- Found the original hard copies of the short stories that will be chapters 4 and 5. 2 years ago
- No, I have not given up on the book. My real joband taking care of Angela nad the kids takes precedence. Hope... fb.me/1uW4l7s1I 2 years ago
- Facebook now requires page administrators to pay to promote status updates to those who already like our page. If... fb.me/26xcu2x2G 2 years ago
- Steve Nibbelink, the author, declares you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,... fb.me/19tqdq10Q 2 years ago
- A Page is Turned from JP on GamingI just sent the following email to LPJ. [To LPJ]I am sending you this to let you know at this time: [June 30th] 10:47pm CDT, I have removed all NeoExodus products from RPGNow. They still show on their search engine, but they are no longer available a... [...]
- July already, Farewell June from Sea of Stars RPG Design JournalSummer arrived with the Summer solstice and it certainly feels like it here, with some brutally hot days, hope things are more mild wherever you may be, dear reader. July is -of course- named after that all around skilled politician Julius Caesar in his re-formalization of the Roman Calendar which... [...]
- Why I Love RPGS: C. J. Carella’s WitchCraft RPG from The Other Side blogNote: This is part of the Dyvers Project on RPGs. We are supposed to talk about RPGS we love and why we love them. This is my second part. RPGS I Love: C. J. Carella's WitchCraft RPG WitchCraft is, hands down, my favorite game. Period. Pickin... [...]
- Tuesday Magic Item – Gallowglass Locket from Sea of Stars RPG Design Journal“That big fellow’s locket is quite nice,” whispered Voddick with a discrete gesture. “I had not realized he was a bodyguard,” replied Gollaon, equally quietly. “Indeed?” queried Voddick. He started looking for threats now, after all, they were hired... [...]
- Instaplanet Sci-Fi Generator from Wrathofzombie's Blog » Role-playingInstaplanet Coming up with a planet on the fly can be hard… coming with a few locations on that planet on the fly can be even HARDER. Instaplanet is so you can generate the interesting things in the surrounding area on the fly. You can use this in conjunction with the Die Drop... [...]
- Winding your way down on Baker Street from The Other Side blogMail Call today! Look what I got. +Bryce Whitacre's Victorian RPG Baker Street is out to backers of the Kickstarter. It looks great and I can't wait to try it out. Hope to have a review up soon! [...]
- Why I love Elthos RPG from Elthos RPGWhen I discovered D&D as a freshman in high school way back in 1978, I immediately wanted to Gamemaster my own world. That was my instant reaction. I was duly informed that our town’s Society of Gamemasters was strictly Anti-Gygaxian and while you could use the three original rules books to... [...]
- History of Post-Apocalyptic RPGs (Part Eleven 2007) from Age of RavensHey I got an ENnies nomination! Since this is my 997thpost I’m filling these entries with countdowns as we head to 1000, therefore.... WHO REMEMBERS CLEOPATRA 2525? On earlier lists I broke Post-Apocalyptic games by distance from “The Event.” That often establishes key... [...]
- So the Lords of Tyr tried out the Dragon Age RPG… from A Hero Twice A MonthWhile I am not the video game fanatic that my wife is (few people are), I do enjoy playing them from time to time. One of my favorite video game franchises at the moment is the Dragon Age series. So I have been curious about the pen and paper incarnation of the franchise for awhile, but... [...]
- Reavers on the Seas of Fate – Season Four, Seventh Session from Geek Related » RPGSeventh Session (11 page pdf) – “Nip and Tuck” – The Teeth of Araska limps away from port and tangles violently with both privateers and venereal disease. Each takes its own toll. If you’re familiar with historical seamanship, returning to sea … Continue... [...]
- A Page is Turned from JP on Gaming
Order of the D30
LCARS (Library Computer Access Retrieval System)
- Ad Man Portfolio (10)
- Agent of October (2)
- Alien Graphics (3)
- Blog Carnival (8)
- Comic Books (31)
- Connection Ministries (19)
- DC (22)
- Demotivational Posters (249)
- Destination Iowa (3)
- Fake Movie Posters (3)
- Firefly (2)
- Fluff/Inspiration (335)
- Gaming in the Universe of… (32)
- Gaming Notes (30)
- Goober's Place (One Way Express) (17)
- Legacy D&D (54)
- Life near an Iowa Cornfield (76)
- Little Dutch Can (4)
- Marvel (12)
- Memories of Virginia (11)
- Movie Reviews (65)
- Movie Trivia (3)
- Movies (52)
- Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight (42)
- News, Reviews and Culture (43)
- Nit-picking (2)
- Observations of a Noob GM (11)
- Order of the D30 (11)
- Other Systems (52)
- Photoshop Creativity (15)
- Play (21)
- Plot Hooks from… (9)
- Risus (8)
- RPG (164)
- Savage Worlds (22)
- Science Fiction (26)
- Serialized Fiction (1)
- SS3F (4)
- Star Trek (61)
- Star Wars (12)
- Stargate (6)
- Stev (2)
- TweetLibs (4)
- Twitter Inspired (4)
- Vulcan Stev (30)
- Vulcan Stev Family Journey (15)
Nebula of Tags20th Century Fox Ad Man Ashya T'Sai Batman breast cancer Cancer Cancer Crisis cancer fight Captain Kirk Car Wars Christmas humor comic book characters Connection Ministries Coping with Cancer creative writing D&D D&D 2e D&D humor demotivation Demotivational Poster Dungeons & Dragons Fake Movie Poster Fluff/Inspiration Fluff/Inspiration demotivation game night game stats Gaming in the Universe of Goober Goobers words of wisdom Harry Potter INA Inspiration/Fluff Little Dutch Can Liver Cancer LOLcats Movie Review Movie Reviews Movies Mrs. Vulcan Stev Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight Nevets Belin New Hope Fellowship News One Way Express Order of the D30 Paramount Pictures Photoshop pirates Pirates of the Caribbean PIT #1 PIT #2 PIT #3 Plot Hooks from... Portfolio Reviews and Culture Risus Rory's Story Cubes RPG RPG Blog Carnival RPG Bloggers Network Savage Worlds Spock Stargate SG-21 Star Trek Star Trek: TOS Star Trek Humor Star Wars Star Wars humor Stev Super Heroes The Watchmen Vulcan Stev Walt Disney Pictures Warner Bros. Ye Olde Shoppe of Magicks