Cancer Crisis: Her Journey is Over… and ours has just begun.
Good Morning World. It is 11:00 am Wednesday May 12. I wake up this morning as a single father. I am simply overwhelmed by the support, love, and friendship… (how do you translate tears all over the keyboard and screen?)
Virginia took her last breath at 1:2o this morning. I stayed around doing the normal paperwork shuffle until about 3:15 this morning. I got home at about 3:45 and shut off the phone, the alarms and went to bed. I woke this morning to a very wet pillow and an empty bed.
Virginia’s folks and sister made it to Iowa in time to see her. Pvt Black Spartan (Janae) made it home in time to see Mommy. We had a ad-hoc family reunion in Virginia’s hospice room as we all shared stories of our favorite Virginia memories.
The family (especially PIT #3) started to get tired about 10:30. 11:00 I wrote the “Counting down the hours” post and read each of the 113 e-mails. I hope everyone will forgive me for not replying personally. 8-)
Pastor Ken of my church and Pastor Troy (not my Pastor but I’ve worked with him on a number of occasions) sat with me and talked from 11:00 – 12:30. I shared with them stories of Virginia and I. We watched Virginia’s breathing get shallower and further apart as I held her hand. Pastor Troy left at 12:30 and Pastor Ken sat with me.
At 1:20 this morning Virginia breathed her last. My wife is now healed. Praise God! The shell she lived in on this earth is at rest.
I’ll probably be saying this a lot in the next few days. THANK YOU! I don’t remember who started it but the Vulcan Stev family fund is appreciated. I never would have asked, but I’m man enough to admit we need it and I certainly won’t turn down the assistance. Posting the link here seems a little self-serving to me (besides in all honesty I’m not sure I remember who started it or what the link is) Again thank you.
Virginia Nibbelink is at peace. She has fought the good fight. She has finished her race. The Cancer Crisis is over.
Right now plans are for her memorial service to be held Sunday morning at New Hope Fellowship in Holland, Iowa. You are all certainly welcome to attend.
I plan to write up a post (when I’m feeling more articulate) about what Virginia meant/means to me.
I have had a number of folks tell me that my posts about the battle have been a source of inspiration (Berin, I think I understand a little how you feel). Towards that end, I will also probably blog about how the family is coping with the transition. I figure if what I wrote has helped folks going through similar experiences with cancer then what I write might help folks who have lost someone.
I apologize if this has been rambling. I’m still coming to grips with the fact that Virginia isn’t coming back to this house. She has gone home.
Virginia Nibbelink b. October 25, 1963. Born into Eternity May 12, 2010. Godspeed my love
May 12, 2010 - Posted by Vulcan Stev | Life near an Iowa Cornfield, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight, Vulcan Stev | cancer fight, Coping with Cancer, Death, Death & Dying, Eternal Life, Mrs. Vulcan Stev, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight
20 Comments »
Peace and Long Life
Greetings, welcome to the database of Stev, the Vulcan currently on assigment somewhere in the American Heartland.
Vulcan Stev's Database is a chronicle of his viewpoints on life, a repository for his Demotivational Posters, and a place to store the cool stuff he puts together in Photoshop
Enjoy your visit. It is a logical place to be.
Live Long and Prosper
Howard on The View from My Chair: Klingo… acreve on Which D&D Metallic Dragon… John on Demotivational Poster: Curbs (… ccm2361 on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… ccm2361 on Demotivational Poster: Rules
The crew likes these posts
- Attention followers of @vulcanstev this account is going away. Please follow @Alien_Graphics_ 2 years ago
- Found the original hard copies of the short stories that will be chapters 4 and 5. 3 years ago
- No, I have not given up on the book. My real joband taking care of Angela nad the kids takes precedence. Hope... fb.me/1uW4l7s1I 3 years ago
- Facebook now requires page administrators to pay to promote status updates to those who already like our page. If... fb.me/26xcu2x2G 3 years ago
- Steve Nibbelink, the author, declares you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,... fb.me/19tqdq10Q 3 years ago
- Expanding the White Star Universe from The Other Side blogIt is no secret that I am very fond of +James Spahn's White Star RPG. So with my proof copies in I just had to take a "family" picture. Of course I am also a fan of +Matthew Skail's Between Star and Void. I love how these copies turned out and I'll be making it live soon. I... [...]
- Educational Games from Observations of the FoxThe Game Crafter is running a contest centered around educational games at the moment. That means it's a good time to get Bug Hunt finalised. I've had heaps of files on my computer in a half complete state, the game has gone through a dozen playtest se... [...]
- Torchbearer Session 1: The Dread Crypt of Skogenby from Dice MonkeyOur very first session of Torchbearer went swimmingly. Characters created included a human warrior, human magician and human cleric. The warrior is very intent on […] [...]
- Alternate Magic: The Power of Sensory Deprivation from TribalityA friend of mine was telling me about the concept (via 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons) of the Shadowfell; a dark reflection of the mundane regularly leaking into the prime material world. Or, alternately, even when you thought you were walking through the ‘regular’ world you... [...]
- Microlite78 First Edition Light, Microlite74 S&S, Microlite74 Light vs Dark Available on DrivethruRPG/RPGNow (Still Free) from RetroRoleplaying: The BlogThree more of my "Microlite20" based old school games are available on DrivethruRPG/RPGNow as "Pay What You Want" games: Microlite74 Swords & Sorcery, Microlite74 Light vs Dark, and Microlite78 First Edition Lite. For those who are not familiar with these games, here are brief... [...]
- was gary right about gold coin weight? from Blog of HoldingIn Gary Gygax D&D, coins weigh 1/10 of a pound. In WOTC D&D, coins weigh the more historically plausible 1/50 of a pound. Gary’s giant coins have been widely mocked as absurd dinner-plate coins. Imagine a pound of gold only being worth 10 GP! Imagine how big that coin must be! But... [...]
- Power Arms from Into the OddInto the Odd has four classes of weapon.Hand Weapons - One handed, d6 damage.Field Weapons - Two handed, d8 damage.Noble Weapons - One handed, d8 damage, fancy and pricey.Heavy Guns - Two handed, d10 damage, move or fire, ultra-pricey.And we're lo... [...]
- RFI Podcast from The Other Side blogYou can hear me today as well as read me. The Roll For Initiative Podcast I was a guest on is up now. http://rfipodcast.com/show/2016/02/10/volume-5-issue-174-round-table-talk-community-hot-topics/ If you are interested in the Victorian Gamers ... [...]
- Season 8 Episode 3 – Going Virtual from RPG Circus - RPGBlogWelcome to Season 8 Episode 3 of RPG CircusEpisode Topics Tools for running a Virtual Tabletop Dread Hosts Jeff Tristan JimTo Show Links Hasbro, Mattel Said to Have Held Talks About Possible Merger 7th Sea to Have Kickstarter. KS: Aaron Allston's S... [...]
- Wednesday Comics: Storm: The Last Fighter (part 2) from From the Sorcerer's SkullMy exploration of the long-running euro-comic Storm, continues. Earlier installments can be found here.Storm: The Last Fighter (1979) (part 2)Art by Don Lawrence & Script by Martin LodewijkWith Ember in a cage hanging over the mouth of a ... [...]
- Expanding the White Star Universe from The Other Side blog
Order of the D30
LCARS (Library Computer Access Retrieval System)
- Ad Man Portfolio (10)
- Agent of October (2)
- Alien Graphics (3)
- Blog Carnival (8)
- Comic Books (31)
- Connection Ministries (19)
- DC (22)
- Demotivational Posters (249)
- Destination Iowa (3)
- Fake Movie Posters (3)
- Firefly (2)
- Fluff/Inspiration (335)
- Gaming in the Universe of… (32)
- Gaming Notes (30)
- Goober's Place (One Way Express) (17)
- Legacy D&D (54)
- Life near an Iowa Cornfield (76)
- Little Dutch Can (4)
- Marvel (12)
- Memories of Virginia (11)
- Movie Reviews (65)
- Movie Trivia (3)
- Movies (52)
- Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight (42)
- News, Reviews and Culture (43)
- Nit-picking (2)
- Observations of a Noob GM (11)
- Order of the D30 (11)
- Other Systems (52)
- Photoshop Creativity (15)
- Play (21)
- Plot Hooks from… (9)
- Risus (8)
- RPG (164)
- Savage Worlds (22)
- Science Fiction (26)
- Serialized Fiction (1)
- SS3F (4)
- Star Trek (61)
- Star Wars (12)
- Stargate (6)
- Stev (2)
- TweetLibs (4)
- Twitter Inspired (4)
- Vulcan Stev (30)
- Vulcan Stev Family Journey (15)
Nebula of Tags20th Century Fox Ad Man Ashya T'Sai Batman breast cancer Cancer Cancer Crisis cancer fight Captain Kirk Car Wars Christmas humor comic book characters Connection Ministries Coping with Cancer creative writing D&D D&D 2e D&D humor demotivation Demotivational Poster Dungeons & Dragons Fake Movie Poster Fluff/Inspiration Fluff/Inspiration demotivation game night game stats Gaming in the Universe of Goober Goobers words of wisdom Harry Potter INA Inspiration/Fluff Little Dutch Can Liver Cancer LOLcats Movie Review Movie Reviews Movies Mrs. Vulcan Stev Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight Nevets Belin New Hope Fellowship News One Way Express Order of the D30 Paramount Pictures Photoshop pirates Pirates of the Caribbean PIT #1 PIT #2 PIT #3 Plot Hooks from... Portfolio Reviews and Culture Risus Rory's Story Cubes RPG RPG Blog Carnival RPG Bloggers Network Savage Worlds Spock Stargate SG-21 Star Trek Star Trek: TOS Star Trek Humor Star Wars Star Wars humor Stev Super Heroes The Watchmen Vulcan Stev Walt Disney Pictures Warner Bros. Ye Olde Shoppe of Magicks