Cancer Crisis: Her Journey is Over… and ours has just begun.
Good Morning World. It is 11:00 am Wednesday May 12. I wake up this morning as a single father. I am simply overwhelmed by the support, love, and friendship… (how do you translate tears all over the keyboard and screen?)
Virginia took her last breath at 1:2o this morning. I stayed around doing the normal paperwork shuffle until about 3:15 this morning. I got home at about 3:45 and shut off the phone, the alarms and went to bed. I woke this morning to a very wet pillow and an empty bed.
Virginia’s folks and sister made it to Iowa in time to see her. Pvt Black Spartan (Janae) made it home in time to see Mommy. We had a ad-hoc family reunion in Virginia’s hospice room as we all shared stories of our favorite Virginia memories.
The family (especially PIT #3) started to get tired about 10:30. 11:00 I wrote the “Counting down the hours” post and read each of the 113 e-mails. I hope everyone will forgive me for not replying personally. 8-)
Pastor Ken of my church and Pastor Troy (not my Pastor but I’ve worked with him on a number of occasions) sat with me and talked from 11:00 – 12:30. I shared with them stories of Virginia and I. We watched Virginia’s breathing get shallower and further apart as I held her hand. Pastor Troy left at 12:30 and Pastor Ken sat with me.
At 1:20 this morning Virginia breathed her last. My wife is now healed. Praise God! The shell she lived in on this earth is at rest.
I’ll probably be saying this a lot in the next few days. THANK YOU! I don’t remember who started it but the Vulcan Stev family fund is appreciated. I never would have asked, but I’m man enough to admit we need it and I certainly won’t turn down the assistance. Posting the link here seems a little self-serving to me (besides in all honesty I’m not sure I remember who started it or what the link is) Again thank you.
Virginia Nibbelink is at peace. She has fought the good fight. She has finished her race. The Cancer Crisis is over.
Right now plans are for her memorial service to be held Sunday morning at New Hope Fellowship in Holland, Iowa. You are all certainly welcome to attend.
I plan to write up a post (when I’m feeling more articulate) about what Virginia meant/means to me.
I have had a number of folks tell me that my posts about the battle have been a source of inspiration (Berin, I think I understand a little how you feel). Towards that end, I will also probably blog about how the family is coping with the transition. I figure if what I wrote has helped folks going through similar experiences with cancer then what I write might help folks who have lost someone.
I apologize if this has been rambling. I’m still coming to grips with the fact that Virginia isn’t coming back to this house. She has gone home.
Virginia Nibbelink b. October 25, 1963. Born into Eternity May 12, 2010. Godspeed my love
May 12, 2010 - Posted by Vulcan Stev | Life near an Iowa Cornfield, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight, Vulcan Stev | cancer fight, Coping with Cancer, Death, Death & Dying, Eternal Life, Mrs. Vulcan Stev, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight
20 Comments »
Peace and Long Life
Greetings, welcome to the database of Stev, the Vulcan currently on assigment somewhere in the American Heartland.
Vulcan Stev's Database is a chronicle of his viewpoints on life, a repository for his Demotivational Posters, and a place to store the cool stuff he puts together in Photoshop
Enjoy your visit. It is a logical place to be.
Live Long and Prosper
acreve on Which D&D Metallic Dragon… John on Demotivational Poster: Curbs (… ccm2361 on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… ccm2361 on Demotivational Poster: Rules Crooked Rook on Demotivational Poster: Rules
The crew likes these posts
- Attention followers of @vulcanstev this account is going away. Please follow @Alien_Graphics_ 1 year ago
- Found the original hard copies of the short stories that will be chapters 4 and 5. 2 years ago
- No, I have not given up on the book. My real joband taking care of Angela nad the kids takes precedence. Hope... fb.me/1uW4l7s1I 2 years ago
- Facebook now requires page administrators to pay to promote status updates to those who already like our page. If... fb.me/26xcu2x2G 2 years ago
- Steve Nibbelink, the author, declares you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,... fb.me/19tqdq10Q 2 years ago
- [Labyrinth Lord] Savage Menagerie: Seacrush from The Savage AfterWorldNo. Enc.: 0 (1d2) Alignment: Neutral Movement: Swim: 90' (30'); Leap: 60' (20') Armor Class: 4 Hit Dice: 7 Attacks: 2 (trample, bite) Damage: 2d8/2d8 Save: F3 Morale: 8 Hoard Class: None The Seacrush is a monstrously large angelfish (15') that has developed the ability to launch itself out of... [...]
- Arduin Grimoire, Part XI from Lizard's Gaming and Geekery SiteArduin Grimoire, Part XI Rune Weavers’ Magik Also, Magikal Treasures “Hargraves New Magikal Spells (Wondrous Webs Of Power)” “(Continued)” Continued from what, you may ask. From the next page, of course. The ordinary laws of time, space, and page order mean nothing... [...]
- Zatannurday: Cosplay Time Again from The Other Side blogSpring and Summer Conventions are getting underway and that means time for cosplayers. Here are few new ones. Enjoy! Zatanna Cosplay Photoshoot 6 by DenoxPhotography on DeviantArt Zatanna Zatara - 08 by elkhanartphotography on DeviantArt Z... [...]
- Print Version of The Flayed King from Gothridge ManorLast night, as I scrambled to finish The Flayed King for the Swords & Wizardry Appreciation Day, I knew I was going to do a print version. That was the idea all along. But I barely had enough steam left to finish a PDF version.&nbs... [...]
- Now Monster Stand-Ins (Paper Minis) are the DriveThruRPG/RPGNow Deal of the Day from Inkwell IdeasOur “Monster Stand-Ins” Paper Minis PDF is the deal of the day on RPGNow/DriveThruRPG NOW through tomorrow (Sunday) around 10am US central time. You’ll be able to pick it up for 60% off! It has art for over 350 monsters…Read more › [...]
- P is for Pegasus from A Life Full of AdventureThe pegasus always seemed a little high-fantasy for my WFRP. I suppose they make for great flying mounts, however there are other cooler ones to contend with. For the men of the Empire, there are griffins. For the elves of Ulthuan, there are drag... [...]
- A to Z of Vampires: Pĕnanggalan from The Other Side blogThe Pĕnanggalan really is an interesting vampire and really one of the reasons why this whole theme even exists. Back in the early days of my gaming I picked up the Fiend Folio hardback for AD&D. Had to be about 1982, the book was new enough that not everyone had it yet. I am flipping... [...]
- P: Pool from Tower of the ArchmageThe font glistened with an oily rainbow of colors, the fluid undulating by some unseen force. “What could be swimming in that?” Rathgar asked. “Who say’s anything is? It could be the… liquid itself.” Feris shrugged. “If we’re going to rededicate... [...]
- Friday Night Videos: Vampire Music The 90s from The Other Side blogWelcome back to Friday Night Videos as we continue the Vampire theme for Vampire Month here at the Other Side. The early 90s were a great time for Vampires. Think it is good now? Back then in the RPG scene we had White Wolf's Vampire the Masquer... [...]
- Confessions of a Kickstarter Junkie: April Roundup and Retrospective from STUFFER SHACKThere’s only one Kickstarter that I’m currently backing this month and I haven’t seen any others that have caught my eye enough to warrant an honourable mention. So, I’m going to cover the one I am backing and the... [...]
- [Labyrinth Lord] Savage Menagerie: Seacrush from The Savage AfterWorld
Order of the D30
LCARS (Library Computer Access Retrieval System)
- Ad Man Portfolio (10)
- Agent of October (2)
- Alien Graphics (3)
- Blog Carnival (8)
- Comic Books (31)
- Connection Ministries (19)
- DC (22)
- Demotivational Posters (249)
- Destination Iowa (3)
- Fake Movie Posters (3)
- Firefly (2)
- Fluff/Inspiration (335)
- Gaming in the Universe of… (32)
- Gaming Notes (30)
- Goober's Place (One Way Express) (17)
- Legacy D&D (54)
- Life near an Iowa Cornfield (76)
- Little Dutch Can (4)
- Marvel (12)
- Memories of Virginia (11)
- Movie Reviews (65)
- Movie Trivia (3)
- Movies (52)
- Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight (42)
- News, Reviews and Culture (43)
- Nit-picking (2)
- Observations of a Noob GM (11)
- Order of the D30 (11)
- Other Systems (52)
- Photoshop Creativity (15)
- Play (21)
- Plot Hooks from… (9)
- Risus (8)
- RPG (164)
- Savage Worlds (22)
- Science Fiction (26)
- Serialized Fiction (1)
- SS3F (4)
- Star Trek (61)
- Star Wars (12)
- Stargate (6)
- Stev (2)
- TweetLibs (4)
- Twitter Inspired (4)
- Vulcan Stev (30)
- Vulcan Stev Family Journey (15)
Nebula of Tags20th Century Fox Ad Man Ashya T'Sai Batman breast cancer Cancer Cancer Crisis cancer fight Captain Kirk Car Wars Christmas humor comic book characters Connection Ministries Coping with Cancer creative writing D&D D&D 2e D&D humor demotivation Demotivational Poster Dungeons & Dragons Fake Movie Poster Fluff/Inspiration Fluff/Inspiration demotivation game night game stats Gaming in the Universe of Goober Goobers words of wisdom Harry Potter INA Inspiration/Fluff Little Dutch Can Liver Cancer LOLcats Movie Review Movie Reviews Movies Mrs. Vulcan Stev Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight Nevets Belin New Hope Fellowship News One Way Express Order of the D30 Paramount Pictures Photoshop pirates Pirates of the Caribbean PIT #1 PIT #2 PIT #3 Plot Hooks from... Portfolio Reviews and Culture Risus Rory's Story Cubes RPG RPG Blog Carnival RPG Bloggers Network Savage Worlds Spock Stargate SG-21 Star Trek Star Trek: TOS Star Trek Humor Star Wars Star Wars humor Stev Super Heroes The Watchmen Vulcan Stev Walt Disney Pictures Warner Bros. Ye Olde Shoppe of Magicks