Cancer Crisis: Spending the night at the UIHC
Tuesday May 4, Virginia and I both took off early from work to transport her to Iowa City. We had the three-week follow-up after her first round of Xelota, a chemo pill. The appointment was scheduled for 2:30. We arrived at 2:00 pm and Virginia was taken to the lab area for some blood work.
We waited until almost 3:00 before we were called back to talk with Dr. R. Almost as soon as she entered the exam room she expressed concern over Virginia’s fluctuating temperatures and uneven white cell blood count. Dr. R. wonders if Virginia has an infection of some sort. The cause for concern is that if ‘Gin starts the next round of Xelota, her body’s immune system will be compromised and unable to fight off the infection. Dr. R. admitted Virginia yesterday afternoon to run some tests. She wants to determine the cause of the fluctuating temp and white blood cell count before starting the next round of chemo.
This caught us completely by surprise. We were expecting to be heading home no later than 5:00. Suddenly we’re scrambling to make contingency plans to get the kids fed, cars picked up, work called, relatives notified…. I finally left UIHC at about 6:30 and after retrieving the T-Bird made it home about 10:00 pm.
Yesterday after I left, the doctors ran a chest x-ray, conducted lots of blood work and took an MRI of Gin’s head. Right now we are waiting on an ultrasound of the liver. Last word was that the white blood cell count was high, protein levels were low, and sodium levels are low.
Dr. R. and Dr. H.(the resident) just stepped in. The MRI preliminary result came back clear. The chest x-ray came back clear. Dr. R. is thinking that depending on the results of the liver ultrasound, we should be able to head home today.
We’re upping the dose of the Xelota and Dr. R. thinks Gin should be able to finish off the school year.
No comments yet.