Cancer Crisis: Her Journey is Over… and ours has just begun.
Good Morning World. It is 11:00 am Wednesday May 12. I wake up this morning as a single father. I am simply overwhelmed by the support, love, and friendship… (how do you translate tears all over the keyboard and screen?)
Virginia took her last breath at 1:2o this morning. I stayed around doing the normal paperwork shuffle until about 3:15 this morning. I got home at about 3:45 and shut off the phone, the alarms and went to bed. I woke this morning to a very wet pillow and an empty bed.
Virginia’s folks and sister made it to Iowa in time to see her. Pvt Black Spartan (Janae) made it home in time to see Mommy. We had a ad-hoc family reunion in Virginia’s hospice room as we all shared stories of our favorite Virginia memories.
The family (especially PIT #3) started to get tired about 10:30. 11:00 I wrote the “Counting down the hours” post and read each of the 113 e-mails. I hope everyone will forgive me for not replying personally.
Pastor Ken of my church and Pastor Troy (not my Pastor but I’ve worked with him on a number of occasions) sat with me and talked from 11:00 – 12:30. I shared with them stories of Virginia and I. We watched Virginia’s breathing get shallower and further apart as I held her hand. Pastor Troy left at 12:30 and Pastor Ken sat with me.
At 1:20 this morning Virginia breathed her last. My wife is now healed. Praise God! The shell she lived in on this earth is at rest.
I’ll probably be saying this a lot in the next few days. THANK YOU! I don’t remember who started it but the Vulcan Stev family fund is appreciated. I never would have asked, but I’m man enough to admit we need it and I certainly won’t turn down the assistance. Posting the link here seems a little self-serving to me (besides in all honesty I’m not sure I remember who started it or what the link is) Again thank you.
Virginia Nibbelink is at peace. She has fought the good fight. She has finished her race. The Cancer Crisis is over.
Right now plans are for her memorial service to be held Sunday morning at New Hope Fellowship in Holland, Iowa. You are all certainly welcome to attend.
I plan to write up a post (when I’m feeling more articulate) about what Virginia meant/means to me.
I have had a number of folks tell me that my posts about the battle have been a source of inspiration (Berin, I think I understand a little how you feel). Towards that end, I will also probably blog about how the family is coping with the transition. I figure if what I wrote has helped folks going through similar experiences with cancer then what I write might help folks who have lost someone.
I apologize if this has been rambling. I’m still coming to grips with the fact that Virginia isn’t coming back to this house. She has gone home.
Virginia Nibbelink b. October 25, 1963. Born into Eternity May 12, 2010. Godspeed my love
May 12, 2010 - Posted by Vulcan Stev | Life near an Iowa Cornfield, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight, Vulcan Stev | cancer fight, Coping with Cancer, Death, Death & Dying, Eternal Life, Mrs. Vulcan Stev, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight
20 Comments »
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Peace and Long Life
Greetings, welcome to the database of Stev, the Vulcan currently on assigment somewhere in the American Heartland.
Vulcan Stev's Database is a chronicle of his viewpoints on life, a repository for his Demotivational Posters, and a place to store the cool stuff he puts together in Photoshop
Enjoy your visit. It is a logical place to be.
Live Long and Prosper
Vinyl Cutter Show Do… on New Vinyl from Alien Graphics… acreve on Which D&D Metallic Dragon… John on Demotivational Poster: Curbs (… ccm2361 on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… ccm2361 on Demotivational Poster: Ru…
The crew likes these posts
- Found the original hard copies of the short stories that will be chapters 4 and 5. 5 months ago
- No, I have not given up on the book. My real joband taking care of Angela nad the kids takes precedence. Hope... fb.me/1uW4l7s1I 6 months ago
- Facebook now requires page administrators to pay to promote status updates to those who already like our page. If... fb.me/26xcu2x2G 6 months ago
- Steve Nibbelink, the author, declares you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,... fb.me/19tqdq10Q 7 months ago
- Chapters four and five are still being worked on. Can I get some feed back on chapters 1-3? 7 months ago
- Epiro: Episode 106 from Points of LightCastIola (wood elf monk 3)Perseus (human paladin 3)Yllian (high elf wizard 3)Corvus (human ranger 3)Randy (wood elf druid 3)The characters had been hiking across the Goathills for about an hour, searching for wherever it was the wights that had attacke... [...]
- Discussion: What Makes You NOT Want To Play In A Game? from Reality RefractedSecond discussion for this week, but it's something that's been on my mind a lot today. We all have things we don't like. Maybe it is just a genre or some aspect of a genre that you don't like, or maybe it is something bigger and more personal. We all ... [...]
- WHAAAARRRBBBLLLEEEGAAARRBBLLEEE!!!!! from The Fine Art of the TPKIndeed, we do. I have now been re-gainfully employed for 4 months now. The catch? A long commute and mandatory 50-60 hour weeks. Needless to say, this blog isn't the only facet of my life being neglected. My gaming group apparently broke up while waiting for me to get... [...]
- D&D Next DM Advice (Tome 214) from The Tome ShowMike Shea joins us in this episode to dispense advice with us on DMing a D&D Next playtest group. Enjoy! Sponsors: Noble Knight Links: Mike’s Lazy DM book Download Standard Podcasts [...]
- Castles & Crusades Witch from The Other Side blogThe Castles & Crusades Witch Castles & Crusades is often called the Rosetta Stone of RPGS. Actually that is not to bad of a claim. Here is my Witch class from The Witch, converted to C&C. I used the S&W versions and an old d20 version of mine to help fill in some... [...]
- Reaper Bones: Kobolds are they dogs or dragons? from roleplay-geekThe next milestone of this marathon painting challenge is the kobolds. Just like the Giant Rats I painted last time, these are one of the monsters in my Monster Mini Box: Level One and are a classic low level minion and dungeon pest.Lots of peopl... [...]
- CoC Blocking! from HeroPressBill Cavalier, The Dungeon Bastard, has strong opinions on DMs who want to run Call Of Cthulhu as a change from Dungeons & Dragons! [...]
- D&DVD Of The Week: Genghis – The Legend Of The Ten (2012) from HeroPressLocked in a civil war with the rebellious Hulin tribe, the hordes of Genghis Khan (aka Chinggis Khaan aka Temujin) are stricken by plague and so a ten-man squad (an "aravt") is dispatched into the mountains to retrieve The Great Physician, a renowned h... [...]
- What coming to me in the Fall; Dwarven Forge from Bat in the AtticSo I got confirmation of my order from the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter. So here what coming to me in the fall.First off I ordered five sets plus the stretch goals. I looked at the various layouts and my experience with the stuff that my friend Dwayne mad... [...]
- What Do You Want More Of? from Reality RefractedQuick, non-gaming related post today.First off, I apologize about the sporadic nature of the blog lately. I've had a lot going on, and it's made keeping focus on the blog a bit harder than normal. This should resolve itself, and I'm going to try to get... [...]
- Epiro: Episode 106 from Points of Light
Order of the D30
LCARS (Library Computer Access Retrieval System)
- Ad Man Portfolio (10)
- Agent of October (2)
- Alien Graphics (3)
- Blog Carnival (8)
- Comic Books (31)
- Connection Ministries (19)
- DC (22)
- Demotivational Posters (249)
- Destination Iowa (3)
- Fake Movie Posters (3)
- Firefly (2)
- Fluff/Inspiration (335)
- Gaming in the Universe of… (32)
- Gaming Notes (30)
- Goober's Place (One Way Express) (17)
- Legacy D&D (54)
- Life near an Iowa Cornfield (76)
- Little Dutch Can (4)
- Marvel (12)
- Memories of Virginia (11)
- Movie Reviews (65)
- Movie Trivia (3)
- Movies (52)
- Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight (42)
- News, Reviews and Culture (43)
- Nit-picking (2)
- Observations of a Noob GM (11)
- Order of the D30 (11)
- Other Systems (52)
- Photoshop Creativity (15)
- Play (21)
- Plot Hooks from… (9)
- Risus (8)
- RPG (164)
- Savage Worlds (22)
- Science Fiction (26)
- Serialized Fiction (1)
- SS3F (4)
- Star Trek (61)
- Star Wars (12)
- Stargate (6)
- Stev (2)
- TweetLibs (4)
- Twitter Inspired (4)
- Vulcan Stev (30)
- Vulcan Stev Family Journey (15)
Nebula of Tags20th Century Fox breast cancer Cancer Crisis cancer fight comic book characters Connection Ministries creative writing D&D 2e demotivation Demotivational Poster Dungeons & Dragons Fluff/Inspiration Fluff/Inspiration demotivation game night game stats Gaming in the Universe of Goober Harry Potter Inspiration/Fluff Movie Review Movie Reviews Movies Mrs. Vulcan Stev Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight Nevets Belin New Hope Fellowship News One Way Express Order of the D30 PIT #1 PIT #2 PIT #3 Reviews and Culture RPG RPG Bloggers Network Savage Worlds Stargate SG-21 Star Trek Star Trek: TOS Star Trek Humor Star Wars Star Wars humor Vulcan Stev Walt Disney Pictures Warner Bros.