Cancer Crisis: Her Journey is Over… and ours has just begun.
Good Morning World. It is 11:00 am Wednesday May 12. I wake up this morning as a single father. I am simply overwhelmed by the support, love, and friendship… (how do you translate tears all over the keyboard and screen?)
Virginia took her last breath at 1:2o this morning. I stayed around doing the normal paperwork shuffle until about 3:15 this morning. I got home at about 3:45 and shut off the phone, the alarms and went to bed. I woke this morning to a very wet pillow and an empty bed.
Virginia’s folks and sister made it to Iowa in time to see her. Pvt Black Spartan (Janae) made it home in time to see Mommy. We had a ad-hoc family reunion in Virginia’s hospice room as we all shared stories of our favorite Virginia memories.
The family (especially PIT #3) started to get tired about 10:30. 11:00 I wrote the “Counting down the hours” post and read each of the 113 e-mails. I hope everyone will forgive me for not replying personally. 8-)
Pastor Ken of my church and Pastor Troy (not my Pastor but I’ve worked with him on a number of occasions) sat with me and talked from 11:00 – 12:30. I shared with them stories of Virginia and I. We watched Virginia’s breathing get shallower and further apart as I held her hand. Pastor Troy left at 12:30 and Pastor Ken sat with me.
At 1:20 this morning Virginia breathed her last. My wife is now healed. Praise God! The shell she lived in on this earth is at rest.
I’ll probably be saying this a lot in the next few days. THANK YOU! I don’t remember who started it but the Vulcan Stev family fund is appreciated. I never would have asked, but I’m man enough to admit we need it and I certainly won’t turn down the assistance. Posting the link here seems a little self-serving to me (besides in all honesty I’m not sure I remember who started it or what the link is) Again thank you.
Virginia Nibbelink is at peace. She has fought the good fight. She has finished her race. The Cancer Crisis is over.
Right now plans are for her memorial service to be held Sunday morning at New Hope Fellowship in Holland, Iowa. You are all certainly welcome to attend.
I plan to write up a post (when I’m feeling more articulate) about what Virginia meant/means to me.
I have had a number of folks tell me that my posts about the battle have been a source of inspiration (Berin, I think I understand a little how you feel). Towards that end, I will also probably blog about how the family is coping with the transition. I figure if what I wrote has helped folks going through similar experiences with cancer then what I write might help folks who have lost someone.
I apologize if this has been rambling. I’m still coming to grips with the fact that Virginia isn’t coming back to this house. She has gone home.
Virginia Nibbelink b. October 25, 1963. Born into Eternity May 12, 2010. Godspeed my love
May 12, 2010 - Posted by Vulcan Stev | Life near an Iowa Cornfield, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight, Vulcan Stev | cancer fight, Coping with Cancer, Death, Death & Dying, Eternal Life, Mrs. Vulcan Stev, Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight
20 Comments »
Peace and Long Life
Greetings, welcome to the database of Stev, the Vulcan currently on assigment somewhere in the American Heartland.
Vulcan Stev's Database is a chronicle of his viewpoints on life, a repository for his Demotivational Posters, and a place to store the cool stuff he puts together in Photoshop
Enjoy your visit. It is a logical place to be.
Live Long and Prosper
acreve on Which D&D Metallic Dragon… John on Demotivational Poster: Curbs (… ccm2361 on 30 D30 30 Charts & Tables… ccm2361 on Demotivational Poster: Rules Crooked Rook on Demotivational Poster: Rules
The crew likes these posts
- Attention followers of @vulcanstev this account is going away. Please follow @Alien_Graphics_ 1 year ago
- Found the original hard copies of the short stories that will be chapters 4 and 5. 1 year ago
- No, I have not given up on the book. My real joband taking care of Angela nad the kids takes precedence. Hope... fb.me/1uW4l7s1I 1 year ago
- Facebook now requires page administrators to pay to promote status updates to those who already like our page. If... fb.me/26xcu2x2G 1 year ago
- Steve Nibbelink, the author, declares you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,... fb.me/19tqdq10Q 1 year ago
- #RPGADAY: Scariest Game You’ve Ever Played from Points of LightWhen Paranormal Activity came out a lot of my then co-workers didn't really like it; nothing happened, not enough happened, not enough blood, gore, and/or jump scares, you didn't get to see what the demon-thing look liked at the end, etc.Personall... [...]
- Common Sense vs. The Rules, or How The AngryDM Blew My Mind from Reality RefractedLove him or hate him, you can't deny the fact that the AngryDM is a Dungeon/Game Master that adores his craft. Sure, maybe at times he takes a bit of a Gygaxian approach (or seemingly so) and he is definitely out there for a form of gaming that is too ... [...]
- #RPGaDAY 6: Favorite RPG You Never Get to Play — DC HEROES in a Landslide from Advanced Dungeons and ParentingAs I mentioned in the second post in this - behind schedule - series, DC Heroes is the first game I ever truly Gamemastered. I was an undergrad in college at the time and had just finished playing in a couple of remarkably well GM'd games.There was Rog... [...]
- EN World Review – The Clement Sector by Gypsy Knights Games from NEUROGLYPH GamesGreetings Fellow Gamers and Gentle Readers! It’s certainly been a busy couple of weeks in the wake of GENCON 2014, and it’s been great sharing some of my experiences from the convention in my blogs here. One of the great things I love about going to GENCON is the opportunity to... [...]
- Castle Greyhawk: Daybreak from GreyhawkeryWelcome back Greyhawkers! At long last I'm happy to promote page thirty-two the final installment in the second chapter of our ongoing Castle Greyhawk graphic novel. Follow the links above to get bonus script&nbs... [...]
- Enter the Dragon’s Lair: Winner! from Kobold PressWe are pleased to announce that we have a winner for the Enter the Dragon’s Lair contest: “The Black Crater of Blinder’s Keep” by Christopher Lockey. Congratulations, Christopher! In case you missed it, you can still view his winning entry. Also, thanks go to everyone who... [...]
- Episode 97: Gen Con and D&D from Accidental Survivors: The Modern Gaming PodcastWARNING: Instances of very strong language may offend some listeners. Episode 97: Gen Con and D&D * Chris is drinking Left Hand Brewing Company's Milk Stout Nitro. * Rob is drinking Block Three's About Face. ... [...]
- 101 Days of Rifts: Rules I from Places to Go, People to BeTo say Palladium’s rules, especially the version presented in Rifts, have a poor reputation among much of the RPG Internet community is an understatement. The most common complaints are the... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] ... [...]
- Circle Oroboros: a new Kaya from JP on GamingI seems so long ago now that I painted two of these ladies! And now in a somewhat random ebay lot, I won another Kaya. I posted the Argus and Warpwolf that came with her in a previous post back in April. One interesting part is that I seem to get my ha... [...]
- More From Barrel Rider Games from The Other Side blogI won't lie. I love Barrel Rider Games.A full Basic-era class for a $1. Not a bad deal really.Here are a bunch of my recent purchases.In nearly all cases the books are 5 to 6 or so pages with a cover, some art and the OGL and Labyrinth Lord licenses in... [...]
- #RPGADAY: Scariest Game You’ve Ever Played from Points of Light
Order of the D30
LCARS (Library Computer Access Retrieval System)
- Ad Man Portfolio (10)
- Agent of October (2)
- Alien Graphics (3)
- Blog Carnival (8)
- Comic Books (31)
- Connection Ministries (19)
- DC (22)
- Demotivational Posters (249)
- Destination Iowa (3)
- Fake Movie Posters (3)
- Firefly (2)
- Fluff/Inspiration (335)
- Gaming in the Universe of… (32)
- Gaming Notes (30)
- Goober's Place (One Way Express) (17)
- Legacy D&D (54)
- Life near an Iowa Cornfield (76)
- Little Dutch Can (4)
- Marvel (12)
- Memories of Virginia (11)
- Movie Reviews (65)
- Movie Trivia (3)
- Movies (52)
- Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight (42)
- News, Reviews and Culture (43)
- Nit-picking (2)
- Observations of a Noob GM (11)
- Order of the D30 (11)
- Other Systems (52)
- Photoshop Creativity (15)
- Play (21)
- Plot Hooks from… (9)
- Risus (8)
- RPG (164)
- Savage Worlds (22)
- Science Fiction (26)
- Serialized Fiction (1)
- SS3F (4)
- Star Trek (61)
- Star Wars (12)
- Stargate (6)
- Stev (2)
- TweetLibs (4)
- Twitter Inspired (4)
- Vulcan Stev (30)
- Vulcan Stev Family Journey (15)
Nebula of Tags20th Century Fox Ad Man Ashya T'Sai Batman breast cancer Cancer Cancer Crisis cancer fight Captain Kirk Car Wars Christmas humor comic book characters Connection Ministries Coping with Cancer creative writing D&D D&D 2e D&D humor demotivation Demotivational Poster Dungeons & Dragons Fake Movie Poster Fluff/Inspiration Fluff/Inspiration demotivation game night game stats Gaming in the Universe of Goober Goobers words of wisdom Harry Potter INA Inspiration/Fluff Little Dutch Can Liver Cancer LOLcats Movie Review Movie Reviews Movies Mrs. Vulcan Stev Mrs. Vulcan Stev's Fight Nevets Belin New Hope Fellowship News One Way Express Order of the D30 Paramount Pictures Photoshop pirates Pirates of the Caribbean PIT #1 PIT #2 PIT #3 Plot Hooks from... Portfolio Reviews and Culture Risus Rory's Story Cubes RPG RPG Blog Carnival RPG Bloggers Network Savage Worlds Spock Stargate SG-21 Star Trek Star Trek: TOS Star Trek Humor Star Wars Star Wars humor Stev Super Heroes The Watchmen Vulcan Stev Walt Disney Pictures Warner Bros. Ye Olde Shoppe of Magicks